Mini Toasts with White Cheddar, Apple, and Honey is a simple and elegant appetizer that packs a punch of flavor. Easy to make and so tasty, you won’t be able to stop at just one!
This recipe was inspired by an appetizer at my favorite local Italian restaurant.
The sharp white cheddar combined with the tangy, crisp Granny Smith apple, sweet honey, and buttery toast points is enough to send me to the grave.
I’m literally dead.
Anyway, my BFF Crystal and I started making these little bites of heaven about a year ago and we just can’t stop.
This combo is super simple to put together, and super elegant at the same time.
You’ll impress your dinner party guests and nobody has to know how not-actually-high-end this app is.
But you should know that it is hard to stop yourself in front of these things. Your guests might not even get any.
Ingredients Needed for Mini Toasts with Cheese:
Toast Points. What the heck is a toast point, you ask? They’re delicious little triangles of buttered toast, basically.
I highly reccommend making them yourself.
- Cut the crusts off of 6 pieces of white sandwich bread (save those crusts to make homemade bread crumbs!), then cut each piece into 4 triangles.
- Line bread triangles up on a baking sheet and brush with 2 tbsp melted salted butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.
You can also purchase toast points and mini toasts at your local specialty foods store or basically any store that has a fancy cheese counter.
I have used these mini toasts and the 365 Everyday Value brand from Whole Foods in a pinch. You could also use these Trader Joe’s brioche toasts or try your hand at making Melba toast for something a little different.
White Cheddar Cheese. It’s best to really spring for the good stuff here. The sharper, the better – you need that sharpness to cut the tart & sweet of the Granny Smith apple and honey.
Some of my favorite brands are Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar and Tillamook Smoked Vintage Extra Sharp Aged White Cheddar.
When in doubt, your local grocery store probably carries its own brand of white cheddar cheese in the sliced cheese area and a few options in the deli. Ask for it sliced – you can cut it into triangles that’ll fit perfectly on your homemade toast points.
Granny Smith Apples. The tartness of a good Granny Smith is essential to this app.
Wash and core a Granny Smith, then cut in half. With the cut side down, slice the thinnest slices you can muster. Like, paper thin.
If you’re working ahead and don’t want brown, oxidized apple slices by the time your guests arrive, simply toss your apple slices with lemon juice and keep them in an air-tight container in your fridge until you’re ready to assemble your appetizer.
Honey. You can use just about any honey that you have on hand.
But using a local, fresh honey from a bee farmer in your area or your local farmer’s market is my first recommendation.
Don’t you wanna blow some friggin’ minds?! I know I do.
How to Assemble Toast Point Appetizers:
- Line your toast points or mini toasts up on a serving platter.
- Top with a piece of the sharp white cheddar.
- Place one or two of your super thin slices of Granny Smith apple atop the cheddar.
- Drizzle with honey, or set out a small dish of honey on your platter and let guests have at their own drizzlin’.
Once you have your Mini Toasts with White Cheddar, Apple, and Honey assembled, serve them to the people you love or hoard them all for yourself.
It’s your life.
And be sure to let me know what you thought of this recipe in the comments!
- 6 slices white bread,, crusts cut off and sliced diagonally into 4 triangles each
- 2 tbsp melted salted butter
- 6 slices sharp white cheddar cheese,, cut into 4 triangles each
- 1 large Granny Smith apple,, cut into 24-48 thin slices
- 1/4 c clover honey
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line bread triangles on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove mini toasts from pan and allow to cool to room temperature on a rack.
- Place mini toasts on a serving platter.
- Place one piece of sharp white cheddar on each toast.
- Top with 1-2 slices of Granny Smith apple.
- Drizzle with honey and serve.